Travel is one of my passions in life, passed on to me from my parents, and I am fortunate to share this interest with my wife Heidi and now our three children. Some of my most memorable trips:
- 1984 – Grade 3 trip with my Dad to Montreal to see NHL playoff “Battle of Quebec” between Montreal Canadiens and Quebec Nordiques, staying in same hotel (Manoir Le Moyne) as Pete Rose who was then playing for the Montreal Expos
- 1988 – Family trip to California, saw Orel Herchiser set the all-time consecutive scoreless inning streak with 10 shutout innings against the San Diego Padres
- 1989 – Grade 8 school basketball trip from Newfoundland to Utah – arranged thanks to our coach Bob Richards and accompanied by a CBC television film crew including Joe Mullins. We watched a Utah Jazz practice that included Stockton, Malone and Mark Eaton, skied at Sundance and played four basketball games against Utah schools.
- 1992 – Canada 125 trip to Scarborough, ON with high school classmates (and then a return visit by Scarborough students to Newfoundland)
- 1999 – Honeymoon trip to Florida Keys and Western Caribbean
- 2000 – Three-week South Africa trip over Christmas with my wife Heidi, followed by time in England where we were joined by her sister Heather
- 2002 – Trip to Bulgaria for business case teaching (with Sean Murray and Momchil Momchilov)
- 2003 – Trip to Nizhniy Tagil, Russia as part of the Richard Ivey School of Business LEADER Project (business case teaching) followed by visits to Czech Republic, Croatia, Hungary, and Slovenia
- 2004 – Extended Family Cruise on RCCL Explorer of the Seas (May), Month-long South America trip with Heidi (Brazil, Bolivia, Peru including Machu Picchu) during a leave of absence from Mercer Management Consulting (October)
- 2006 – Weekend in Jamaica with Heidi’s friend Karen, Torino Winter Olympics, NCAA Regional Finals in Atlanta with my brother Mark
- 2010 – Vancouver Olympics to watch my sister-in-law Heather Moyse win Gold, Women’s Rugby World Cup in England
- 2014 – June family trip to Hilton Head, Atlanta, Paris, Honfleur, France and New York City
- 2015 – Celebrity Summit cruise from San Juan to Southern Caribbean with Heidi to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary and turning 40
- 2015 – Family trip to Costa Rica over U.S. Thanksgiving
- 2016 – Liberty of the Seas Cruise from Galveston to Honduras, Belize, Mexico with my parents
- 2018 – Trip to Rwanda to work with faculty colleagues from Herat University in Afghanistan on their first-ever MBA program. Rwanda was chosen as the location for the trip since we needed a meeting place between our two countries where Afghanistan citizens could get a travel visa.
- 2018 – I will be traveling to Yuntech University in Taiwan in December to continue a long tradition of Daniels faculty who have guest-taught at this institution.