Management consulting is a popular career path for business school students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and consulting skills are also increasingly in demand in a variety of other career paths. As a result, business schools generally provide a variety of curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular opportunities for students to gain familiarity, skills and connections related to consulting. Having taught management consulting at the University of Denver and now at the University of Virginia for a number of years, this page is my attempt to summarize the resources and approaches that exist in this subject area, in the hope that the material is helpful for students, faculty and industry participants. Last updated: July 29, 2019.
Books Specifically Focused on Management Consulting
Cracked it! How to Solve Big Problems and Sell Solutions like Top Strategy Consultants (2018) by Bernard Garrette, Corey Phelps, and Olivier Sibony
Management Consulting Today & Tomorrow (2017, 2nd Edition, 468 pages) by Flemming Poulfelt and Thomas Olson
The Practice of Professional Consulting (2012), by Edward G. Verlander
Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used (2011, 3rd Edition) by Peter Block. Online Summary
The McKinsey Engagement (2008) by Paul Friga – Introduces a consulting approach based loosely on McKinsey principles, with examples from industry and business schools.
The Advice Business: Essential Tools and Models for Management Consulting (2004) by Charles Fombrun and Mark Nevins, Prentice Hall, ISBN: 9780130303738
The McKinsey Mind (2001) by Ethan Raisel and Paul Friga. A more applied discussion of how to apply the McKinsey principles described in the McKinsey Way in businesses other than McKinsey, based on the experiences of McKinsey alumni.
True Professionalism: The Courage to Care about Your People, Your Clients, and Your Career (2000) by David Maister
The McKinsey Way (1999) by Ethan Raisel. Provides a broad overview of the McKinsey consulting approach. Descriptive, not prescriptive, but with some helpful suggestions and concepts.
Books Focused on Related Topics: Case Interviewing, Strategic Management, etc.
Case in Point 10: Complete Case Interview Preparation by Marc Cosentino (2018)
Case Interview Secrets by Victor Cheng (2012)
The Pyramid Principle: Logic in Writing and Thinking (2010, 3rd Edition) by Barbara Minto
A Sample of Management Consulting Cases
- Developing Professionals the BCG Way (A and B), HBS 903113 and HBS 904068
- Bon Star Hotel, HBS 909M72
- Deloitte & Touche Consulting Group, HBS 9-696-096
- East Central Ohio Freight, HBS NA0009
- When Clients and Consultants Clash by Idalene F. Kesner and Sally Fowler, HBS 97605
- Welcome Aboard (But Don’t Change Thing), HBR R0210A
- Growing For Broke, HBR R0209X
Management Consulting Syllabi at Other Schools
- Carnegie Mellon – Management Consulting 94-808 – Chris Brussalis and Jordan Pallitto (Spring 2018)
- Georgia Tech – MGT 4102 Management Consulting – Alan Flury (Spring 2014)
- Rotman – RSM2052 Management Consulting – Beatrix Dart (Summer 2017), RSM495 Management Consulting – Jan Klakurka (Winter 2016, Winter 2014)
- UBC – COHR307 Introduction to Organizational Consulting – Marc-David Siedel (Spring 2013)
- USC – MOR 462 Management Consulting – Thomas Olson (Spring 2012)